Monday, June 30, 2008

New logo and title!


You may have noticed my new logo for Top Shelf Weddings & Events. I've been wanting to update my logo ever since the new fabulous Assn. of Bridal Consultants logo was unveiled at the ABC conference last November (see right). The curvaceous nature of it inspired me to get more curvy with my font. Bertram, my refined mascot, remains because I feel he embodies everything that I stand for. Refined sophistication, but also a love for life and enjoyment that people from his era were so known for.

My second announcement is the change in my title with ABC. Last Fall I began working on a portfolio application in order to earn the title of "Accredited Bridal Consultant, TM". This is a very involved process. First, there's basic things such as marketing materials, use of the ABC logo, recommendation letters from brides, vendors, and fellow bridal consultants, and proof of continuing education. I also had to take a competency exam and submit essay responses to test my knowledge. The most difficult part was the complete portfolio of a recent full service wedding. I profiled one of my best brides of last Summer/Fall, Sara Utzinger (she's the beautiful brunette in front of the red door in one of my past posts).

The portfolio required proof of every communication I had with her and with every vendor (good thing I use email diligently!). The panel needed to see that I know how to work well with vendors and my client with regards to all aspects in the planning process. They wanted to see all the printed materials from the save-the-date to the place cards. Fabulous photographers Micheal and Heather Krakora (www.michaelkrakora.com) created some beautiful collages of the photos they took to showcase the couple, some moments we had together (like me pinning on boutonnières and fluffing her train pre-walking down the aisle), and the decor of the ceremony and reception.

Putting all of these aspects together was the most difficult part because I had to rely on the dozen-plus vendors who were involved in this wedding to also submit their post-event feedback and thoughts. Most came through for me like champs and helped me submit my portfolio before the November conference and I received my congratulatory letter from the Association early this Spring. Essentially, they needed to know that I have the skills, experience, continuing education, and professionalism to call myself an Accredited Bridal Consultant, TM.

I was amazed to find out that there are only about 25 active members of ABC worldwide who have earned this designation. At this level, I may be expected to present at local seminars or even at the national conference (I think I'll wait a few more years before doing that!). I'll keep to educating my current market in the Madison and south central Wisconsin area. Brides need to know that wedding consultants aren't an extra expense or a luxury, but a necessity for your sanity and well being! Vendors, too, are starting to pick up on the fact that their jobs are easier and they provide a better product or service when a wedding planner is involved.

I'm also trying to help spread the word to other wedding planners out there not yet associated with ABC. Collaborating with each other and learning from each other is the best method, not being territorial or competitive. Each bride and groom will connect with their wedding planner in a unique way (most of the time), so I feel that if someone didn't choose me, but did choose another ABC member in the area, then they are fortunate to have found a true professional who will do a great job for them. The more members there are, the greater our reputation as an integral part of the wedding community is.

Stepping off soapbox and signing off...